Assignment Instructions Worth 200 points Please do not bit high
Students will be required to complete a 7-10 page final paper for this course. The final paper will require the student to select an infectious or chronic disease and provide a brief history and overview of this topic and how it is currently impacting public health today. Since topics may vary, formatting will as well; however, students will need to provide:
- History of the disease
- Symptoms of the disease
- The cause of the disease (and how/when the cause was discovered)
- Method to spread the disease (if chronic disease, populations most affected in the US)
- Methods to contain the disease
- Number of people infected or affected today (number of deaths, if applicable); may also use graphs and tables (Use descriptive epidemiology concepts)
- Public health costs (i.e. local, federal, hospitalizations, nursing, hospice)
- Treatments, in any available
- Current and future educational efforts needed by public health professionals to reduce spread of disease
1. The paper must be a minimum seven (7) double spaced pages (but no more than ten (10) pages in length), not including the title page and reference page(s). Charts, graphs, photos, drawings, lists and extended quotes* will not count against the pages of written text required. *Note: It is a rare instance that an extended quote is appropriate and most of the time they are considered non-academic.
2. There must be a minimum of five (5) different scholarly sources used. References must follow the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines for reference and bibliographic citation. If necessary, refer to Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ED). 2009 Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
3. Use Times New Roman Font in a 12-point font.
4. Use 1 inch for the top, bottom, left and right margins.
5. Use proper APA format as given to you in the attached example.
Submission: You must submit your completed paper through this assignment link as it will be subjected to TurnItIn. Save your file in the following format before you submit: Last Name, First Initial Research Paper (i.e. Jones, L Research Paper). Failure to submit the file in the proper format will lead to point deductions.
Grading your Paper
paper using the rubric attached. The rubric is a guide that allows me to look at specific areas (Criteria) of your paper and assign a grade to each. I will then add the six criteria grades and arrive at an overall grade for your work. A rubric helps an instructor to evaluate each student’s work consistently and fairly, despite differences in topics and content.
*PLAGIARISM: Your paper will go through TurnItIn, a plagiarism software. If you receive a high score in TurnItIn, it is likely that you have committed plagiarism whether intentional or not. Review this website to insure you do not commit plagiarism: http://www.plagiarism.org/. If you receive a TurnItIn score that is high, I suggest that you revise and resubmit before the due date. Resubmissions are not accepted after the due date.