Directions: Plan a trip to another country for a medical procedure. Choose the country and identify what documents are needed to visit (visa, passport). Choose a medical procedure. Locate a facility in the country that offers that procedure. The plan may be for you, a family member or friend. Write a scenario explaining or justifying the need for the procedure(s). Include airfare and housing arrangements. Your paper should be: 3-5 pages, 12 font, double-spaced, pictures are additional pages. CITE YOUR SOURCES OF INFORMATION
Answer the following:
- To what country is travel being arranged?
- What medical procedure is being requested? (Did you explain why that procedure?)
- What is the cost of the procedure?
- What is the cost of the trip (procedure, airfare, lodging)? (Write out a bill/itinerary)
- How does the cost in the U.S. compare to the cost in the country you have chosen?
- What accommodations are available for the patient and caregiver prior to the procedure (i.e. touring, long or short stay at a medical facility)?
- Who is responsible for the medical accommodations or arrangements necessary for the return to the States?
- What recourse does a patient have if the procedure causes an infection or does not meet the expectations of the patient?
- What recommendations are suggested to recovering patients for the return home?
- Is the patient required to return to the facility for a follow up visit?
- If medicine is prescribed after the procedure, is it readily available to the patient at the location of the procedure and back home?
- Is there communication between the patient and his/her physician in the States?
- Would you recommend medical tourism and/or the chosen procedure in another country to someone else? If YES, why? If NO, why not?